Sunday, July 19, 2009

Reading classics can be scary

Mark Twain once said that "A classic is a book whic people praise and dont read." I knew I loved him for a reason (and not just for his classics which not only have I read, but own). He's hilarious.

Anyway, it's true! As I've said in my own blog, the "R." in "Shane R. Toogood" stands for "Horror," but for some reason I can never bring myself to read the classics such as Frankenstein, Dracula or It. Maybe because my horoscope said that I'm a trend setter and don't like to conform to what others find cool (Shout out to all my Gemini twins!) or because the language is too complex to cipher (true story). Or perhaps it's the storylines we now find to be cliche although they were written centuries or even decades ago?

Whatever it is, I guess Quirk Publishing took notice to Twain's words and put a twist on Jane Austen's classics Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility to ease reader's into the books most of us were forced to read in high school.

You know I haven't read Quirk's New York Times Best Selling Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I have heard the author keeps to Austen's text while tossing a few zombie scenes in the text.

Below is the kickass trailer of the publishing company's newest rendition of Austen's Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.




With titles like this and modern cover art with a gothic flair it just may be possible I'll be reading the classics that I have collected, using them as lint and dust catchers. That would be the sensible thing to do since "Sense will always have attractions for me." (For those of you about to Google that quote--which is how I found it--it is from Sense and Sensibility.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails