Friday, June 12, 2009

Recommended Reading: Shane's Picks


Kris and I are book gluttons. We inhale books, gorge ourselves in stories and bathe in all their glory, so it's only natural that we share some of our favorite works with you:

  • "The Gold Bug" (or pretty much the complete works) by Edgar Allan Poe
  • Coraline by Neil Gaiman
  • Fear Hall: The Beginning and Fear Hall: The Conclusion by R. L. Stine
  • Black Hole by Charles Burns
  • Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural Selected by Marvin Kaye
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • Sharp Objects: A Novel by Gillian Flynn
  • The Best American Erotic Poems from 1800 to the Present Edited by David Lehman
  • On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
  • The Poet's Companion by Kim Addonizio and Dorianne Laux
  • On Writing Horror Edited by Mort Castle
  • Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Man, I could go on. Those are a few off the top of my head. For my full list, please visit my Web site. I'll continue to update them as I continue to read. What are your favorite books? Do you like any of the books on my list? What do you look for in a good book? (Personally, I'm a sucker for characters. If the character is believable, you can put them in any situation--even if it sucks.)

Next time I'll give you my favorite short, horror stories. But until then, sing along with me: "Butterfly in the sky..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails